Click an Ad

If you find this blog helpful, please support me by clicking an ad!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

I Love You, Chrome, but these processes have to die....

I was sitting around in my living room looking at random wireshark captures (What does telnet look like? How about a DNS query?) and I'm trying to reduce the background network "noise" as much as possible. I have no apps running on my taskbar and killed some background fluff that was running, and then I see Hangouts running in my system tray. A right-click reveals no way to exit. I open task manager to find 30 chrome.exe. Well, maybe not thirty, but more than 10. I have quite a few extensions.....

I know WHY it's like this. Separate processes are more easily secured. It's a sandbox thing. What I don't like is that there's not a better description, like "Master Chrome Process" so I can kill one and it will take down all of the child processes with it. I'm not entirely sure that "child processes" is accurate.

There's a lot about this that I don't know, and don't really care about at this point in time. All I want is for Chrome to stop chattering and mucking up my Wireshark capture. I ran a search to see if there was a way to kill all of these processes in some sane fashion, but then I thought, why am I doing this? I can write a script to kill all of these in less time than it would take me to scour the results for a workable process that may or may not exist. Pffft - one liner time:

#Kill-Chrome.ps1
#This script kills all processes named chrome*
#Do not pass go. Do not collect more marketing data.
get-process | where {$_.name -like "chrome*"} | %{stop-process -id $_.id}

1 comment: