Click an Ad

If you find this blog helpful, please support me by clicking an ad!

Monday, June 10, 2013

Working with Windows Defender Updates in WSUS

We don't auto-approve anything besides the Windows Defender updates. We do this using a custom Auto-Approve rule within WSUS like so:

So, updates are being approved, and now I would like to auto-decline superseded updates to keep things tidy. Why keep things tidy? I have a third-party patch management system that also let's me pull some pretty nifty reports on client patching progress, and if I don't remove these they sort of pollute my output by not being installed.

So I made a powershell script by adapting my old "Decline Itanium Patches" script.
Here's the script for declining superseded Definitions for Windows Defender updates:

$WsusServer = "WsusServer.contoso.com"
$UseSSL = $false
$PortNumber = 80
$TrialRun = $true

#E-mail Configuration
$SMTPServer = "SMTPServer.contoso.com"
$FromAddress = "administrator@contoso.com"
$Recipients = "me@contoso.com"
$MessageSubject = "PS Report - Declining Superceded Defender Updates"

Function SendEmailStatus($MessageSubject, $MessageBody)
{
$SMTPMessage = New-Object System.Net.Mail.MailMessage $FromAddress, $Recipients, $MessageSubject, $MessageBody
$SMTPMessage.IsBodyHTML = $true
#Send the message via the local SMTP Server
$SMTPClient = New-Object System.Net.Mail.SMTPClient $SMTPServer
$SMTPClient.Send($SMTPMessage)
$SMTPMessage.Dispose()
rv SMTPClient
rv SMTPMessage
}

#Connect to the WSUS 3.0 interface.
[reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration") | out-null
$WsusServerAdminProxy = [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy]::GetUpdateServer($WsusServer,$UseSSL,$PortNumber);

$defender = $WsusServerAdminProxy.GetUpdates() | ?{-not $_.IsDeclined -and $_.Title -match "defender" -and $_.IsSuperseded -eq $true}

If ($TrialRun)
{$MessageSubject += " Trial Run"}
Else
{$defender | %{$_.Decline()}}

$Style = "<Style>BODY{font-size:11px;font-family:verdana,sans-serif;color:navy;font-weight:normal;}" + `
"TABLE{border-width:1px;cellpadding=10;border-style:solid;border-color:navy;border-collapse:collapse;}" + `
"TH{font-size:12px;border-width:1px;padding:10px;border-style:solid;border-color:navy;}" + `
"TD{font-size:10px;border-width:1px;padding:10px;border-style:solid;border-color:navy;}</Style>"

If ($defender.Count -gt 0)
{
$MessageBody = $defender | Select `
@{Name="Title";Expression={[string]$_.Title}},`
@{Name="KB Article";Expression={[string]::join(' | ',$_.KnowledgebaseArticles)}},`
@{Name="Classification";Expression={[string]$_.UpdateClassificationTitle}},`
@{Name="Product Title";Expression={[string]::join(' | ',$_.ProductTitles)}},`
@{Name="Product Family";Expression={[string]::join(' | ',$_.ProductFamilyTitles)}},`
@{Name="Uninstallation Supported";Expression={[string]$_.UninstallationBehavior.IsSupported}} | ConvertTo-HTML -head $Style
SendEmailStatus $MessageSubject $MessageBody
}

Running this script with $TrialRun set to $true (as it is initially) will simply email you what the script plans to do; it won't decline anything. Changing the $TrialRun variable to $false will actually decline things.

I set this script to run daily about an hour after my scheduled WSUS Synchronization.

In case you're wondering, the patch management system I'm running is Dameware Third Party Patching by Solarwinds. I'm still learning it and the curve is a bit steeper than I would like. At this time, I can't recommend it, but only because I need to learn more to use it effectively and not because it's a poor product (that I've found). I DO really like the reports it generates and I am successfully patching all Adobe Flash installs through my WSUS Server.

No comments:

Post a Comment