Click an Ad

If you find this blog helpful, please support me by clicking an ad!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mounting VMDK Files as a Drive Letter

Mounting VMDK Files as a Drive Letter

Wow, no posts in 14 days. I started this blog hoping to post every day, but it's just not going to happen with the new job and everything. So one of our application servers blew up, due to running out of space when doing updates. I needed some files off of the server, because the backups are all screwed up (well, they work, but they aren't friendly to access at all and I had all kinds of problems getting the .NET framework in place to, in turn, get the Backup Exec agent installed so that I could fail multiple times to run restore jobs). Today I learned that you can take a vmdk file and mount it under Windows! I installed the VMware Virtual Disk SDK, and then used vmware-mount.exe to mount it and explore as a normal file system. Worked like a charm!

2 comments:

  1. where is vmware-mount.exe located

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you install the SDK, it should be under a subfolder. This was months ago... I don't remember off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete